Wednesday 24 November 2010

Think you can draw

We golfers can't really afford to give up too much distance to other golfers and expect to win the hole, but there is a way to remedy this situation by making some amendments to your 'thinking' before you tee off.

What we're after is another 15-20 odd yards so we can be in a position to make the second shot to the green that much easier to accomplish. Ok, I accept that hitting longer off the tee may not win the hole but it certainly doesn't hurt especially if your tee shot ends up a respectable distance in the middle of the fairway and your opponent a long way out in the rough.

It boosts confidence and can make a huge difference to your mental approach for the remainder of the game.

So what's the answer we may ask? The answer is hit a draw. Most professional golfers agree that hitting a draw can add 15 to 20 yards to your tee shot than you would get if you were to hit a fade.

Now under normal circumstances to hit a draw would require you to place the ball further back in your stance. Place your hands on the club in a strong position. I.e. hands further over to the right on the grip. Start the club back on the inside letting the clubface open as the wrists start to roll clockwise. Feel the wrists cup at the top and swing through the ball feeling the wrists roll over to the left as you do so.

It's not a shot for the faint hearted I can assure you. Many a time whilst endeavouring to pull off this shot, I ended up with a violent hook or I've hit the ground before making contact with the ball and it didn't do my back any good either. It's a difficult shot to pull off. Even PGA tour pro's can 'over-cook' this kind of stroke.

So what to do?

Now this may seem crazy but please hear me out.

Not so long ago I remember reading an article where Sam Snead was asked "How do you draw or fade the ball?" Sam pondered the question for a moment and said "I think slice I think draw"

There's oodles and oodles of golf instruction been written on the theory of different grips and stances for the draw and fade etc but Snead's way is much simpler. He made no changes at all. He set himself up to the ball as he did normally and just visualised the ball moving through the air and then played his normal shot. Provided he gave clear instructions to his subconscious mind his hands made the necessary adjustments without him thinking about it.

Not convinced? Well the proof of the pudding is in the eating...Right? So go ahead and give it a try. I think you may be pleasantly surprised.

It works for me and this is how I do it. If I want to draw the ball I visualise the shape of the ball in the air then I set up taking my normal grip and stance. I then say to myself "draw" and begin my backswing. The amazing thing is I can actually feel my left wrist cup at the top and on the downswing my wrists roll over as they drive through the ball.

Conversely, when I say fade I can feel my left wrist arch over at the top and stays that way through the shot. I don't know how or why it happens but it just happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment